The Digital Library Production Service (DLPS) at the University of Michigan
seeks a Supervisor of Photographic and Digital Imaging Services to digitize
materials, oversee the digital imaging activities of the Digital Library
Production Service, and supervise the work of scanning technicians.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
The Supervisor of Photographic/Digital Imaging Services manages the
photographic and digital scanning activities of DLPS. In particular:
* Perform photographic and digital imaging work, including imaging of
complex, rare and fragile objects and library materials.
* Plan and schedule the production assignments of the unit and review
original specifications and final products on individual projects.
Coordinate work with Preservation Digital Conversion staff.
* Develop new image capture methods and procedures, recommend new equipment,
and modify equipment, methods and procedures to meet requirements of
* Plan and implement quantitative and qualitative quality control procedures
for the unit, including device characterization and monitoring, routine
equipment calibration, and appropriate inspection procedures. Implement
color management routines where appropriate.
* Monitor and approve expenditures for materials and services.
* Advise faculty, staff and students on photographic techniques, procedures
* Determine equipment needs and specifications in conjunction with
Purchasing and outside vendors, and select and recommend equipment
purchases. Plan and perform color calibration on equipment.
* Coordinate major photographic projects with researchers, faculty and
* Work with colleagues to develop and implement the capture and storage of
appropriate administrative and technical metadata to support long-term
preservation of digital images. Monitor and modify procedures and workflow
routines to conform with emerging community preservation standards.
* Attend and participate in conferences and seminars on the latest
developments in the photographic and digital imaging field.
* Produce appropriate documentation and reports.
This position reports to the Head, Digital Library Production Service.
The Supervisor, Photographic and Digital Imaging Services will supervise and
evaluate the work of one electronic imaging technician, and train, supervise
and evaluate hourly staff.
* Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in
photography, particularly studio or copy photography.
* Considerable knowledge of the technical concepts, methods, materials,
software and equipment used in digital imaging, color management and
manipulation of image files.
* Demonstrated experience using Adobe Photoshop and other image processing
software to create high quality digital images.
* Knowledge of Windows, Macintosh, and Unix operating systems and
productivity software sufficient to perform file management tasks
(navigating within directory trees, moving files, renaming files, creating
* Ability to work in a collegial environment.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent organizational and project management skills, and attention to
* Bachelor's or MFA in photography preferred.
* Experience handling rare or archival materials, preferred.
* Certification from a recognized program in photographic preservation and
archival training, or equivalent experience, preferred.
This position will remain open until filled. Applications received before
June 7, 2005 will be given preference. Questions about applying for this
position can be E-mailed to [log in to unmask] (refer to
More information on the position at:
More information on the University of Michigan Digital Library Production