Please pass this along to anyone who might be interested.
Senior Application Developer
Columbia University Libraries’ Center for Digital Research and
Scholarship (CDRS) is seeking a Senior Application Developer to
implement CDRS’ online platforms by designing, coding, integrating,
and maintaining services and back-end applications that support the
projects of the center.
CDRS serves the digital research and scholarly communication needs of
Columbia’s faculty, graduate students, and scholars through the
innovative creation and implementation of online tools and services.
The Senior Application Developer will work in tandem with UX designers
and Web developers to create the next generation of shared knowledge
systems. The successful applicant will know how to use multiple
software development models and tools to deliver researcher-focused
applications to the Columbia community and beyond.
Responsibilities include constructing applications and systems;
designing information architecture and user interface schemas;
manipulating, scripting, and visualizing large metadata sets and
digital objects; and authoring technical specifications for
applications intended for use by a variety of university departments
and partners with diverse user requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 3-5 years of professional experience in XML/XSLT, Java, PHP, and MySQL
- 3-5 years of professional experience in Web-based application design
- Fluency with Unix, Apache, and Tomcat environments
- IA/UI skills and OO design experience
- Willingness to learn new applications and terminology
- 5-6 years of experience in Web-based application design
- Extensive familiarity with Python, XQuery, and XForms strongly desired
- Significant experience with relational databases and database design
- Familiarity with SOAP and RESTful architectures
- Familiarity with other open-source software (Django, Lucene, etc.)
- Perl and Ruby knowledge a plus
Columbia University is open-source friendly!
Columbia offers a competitive benefits package that includes 26 days’
paid vacation, a diverse selection of medical insurance options, and a
tuition exemption for employees and their families.
To apply, please visit: http://jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=115983