LISTSERV Archives

NDSA-CONTENT Home

NDSA-CONTENT  August 2011, Week 1

NDSA-CONTENT August 2011, Week 1

Meeting minutes from today's call

"Grotke, Abigail" <[log in to unmask]>

The NDSA Content working group list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Aug 2011 17:03:19 -0400

text/plain

Hi all,
Here are minutes for our call today: http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Content_WG_August_3,_2011_Meeting_Minutes and below.

We had a lively discussion which kicked off a few new action teams to explore a few items that came out of the workshop. Other work will be tied to the ongoing work of the Clearinghouse action team. I encourage you to read the minutes and speak up if you'd like to be involved in either of the two new activities, or any of the ongoing work of the registry and clearinghouse. We had a few brave volunteers step up but could use additional support in these areas.

I've created starting pages for the two new activites on the wiki. Not much there yet but we encourage use of the wiki by the teams. These are linked from the home page as well, now:

Appraisal of Local Government Information Action Team: http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Local_Government_Information
Blog Preservation: http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Blog_Preservation

If you want to get more involved, feel free to contact me or Cathy.

Thanks,
Abbie

-------------------------------
NDSA Content Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:00 am ET

Attendees (11)

 *   Downs, Robert | CIESIN, Columbia University | [log in to unmask]
 *   Grotke, Abbie | Web Archiving Team Lead, Library of Congress, and Co-Chair of the NDSA Content Working Group | [log in to unmask] | 202-707-2833 | @agrotke
 *   Hanna, Kristine | Internet Archive | [log in to unmask]
 *   Hartman, Cathy | Associate Dean of Libraries, University of North Texas/ Co-Chair of the NDSA Content Working Group | [log in to unmask]
 *   Kuan, Christine | Artstor | [log in to unmask]
 *   Maes, Margaret | Legal Information Preservation Alliance | [log in to unmask]
 *   Pittman, Kitty | Oklahoma Department of Libraries | [log in to unmask]
 *   Reib, Linda | Arizona State Library, Archives, and Public Records | [log in to unmask]
 *   Rossum, Deborah |Digital Content Manager| SCOLA |712-566-2202| [log in to unmask]
 *   Swanson, Rebecca | SCOLA | [log in to unmask]
 *   Weise, John | Manager of the Digital Library Production Service (DLPS) at the University of Michigan | [log in to unmask]

Action Team B: Update on the NDIIPP/NDSA workshop on categories of at-risk content

The main item to discuss was the workshop and possible next steps.

For those of us who haven't yet read the notes from the workshop, please do. Abbie sent them out yesterday.

Kristine and others attending reported out from the workshop. Interesting ideas came out of the workshop to move forward. We need volunteers to step up and help out at this point. We had the workshop to move the discussion forward, to help identify the at-risk categories and refine the list. Examples were shown. We broke up into groups and there were action items identified from each group of where we could go next.

That is a big question for the CWG: what do we want to do next? What are we signing up for? Came out of meeting there were some action items compiled. Reaching out

We talked through the action items in the minutes.

State and local: Margie sat in on that table and reported out about the discussion. Local government information is a particular concern. Horror stories are really at the local level. Examples from the group: data that appeared on individual's computers but didn't realize they had something that wasn't published elsewhere. Floppy or hard drives. Never preserved. Probably tons of examples. How do we get at that sort of thing? John asked about pre-digital, how was it handled? Is this new to the digital world? Our guess is that it always existed, but with paper content is easier to resurrect. We're not so sure electronic info is being uncovered when changes take place.

NEXT STEPS: The group supported the idea of a new action team regarding appraisal of local government information. Margie agreed to lead (with some additional guidance about what the charge of the group will be). Linda and Kitty also agreed to help. Abbie will poll the list to see if others would like to help.

Cultural heritage: Kristine reported on on this breakout group. Participants wanted to discuss the clearinghouse, whether we wanted to do that as a group. Is it valuable to have? Concern that initiative might be seen as forcing selecting criteria on institutions. What level should selection policies exist? Overall they thought it was valuable, as long as its enabling and helping. This group was particularly interested in engaging the enthusiasts, passionate folks who want to save creative and cultural content. Consumers and technologists. Get input from creators on what content that should be captured. We talked about working with the outreach working group to come up with a strategy for this. What is this Clearinghouse going to look like? And can it help?

Margie mentioned that we should also coordinate with the registry group to be sure these two initiatives are in sync.

NEXT STEPS: Kristine and Christine offered to take some next steps with really thinking about what the Clearinghouse will be. Abbie is also interested and can help be the bridge between the clearinghouse and registry. Kristine will talk to Michael Stoller as well - he was in that group and had some ideas. Abbie will poll the list to see if others would like to help.

News and Events: Abbie reported out. The focus was more on local news and citizen journalism. John Weise mentioned Annarborchronicle.com as example of something potentially at risk in this area. The site is dedicated to city council meetings, writing them up, local government is covered. Published in blog format. We discussed that maybe the clearinghouse could be a way for people who know about particularly at risk citizen journalism and local news to let us know about - might be something to raise awareness as well. The previous NDIIPP meeting on citizen journalism was brought up, many of the same themes. Again, if we can define the clearinghouse, and have appropriate outreach, we can enable to community to get more involved.

NEXT STEPS: Abbie and Kristine are going to explore how to enable bloggers to self preserve or identify that they are willing to be preserved. The Wordpress plugin idea - we need to get in touch with the Wordpress guy and other contacts who might help. Abbie and Kristine are going to think about how to move forward. Abbie will poll the list to see if others would like to help. Might need some technical expertise that Abbie and Kristine admit they don't have.

Datasets and directories: No one on the call sat in on this breakout group, so we reviewed the minutes. Again, encourage citizens and scientists to engage in the discussion about what is at risk. The same theme: connect people through the registry. No action items on this specifically, but work in general on the registry and outreach will be tied into the concerns of this group.

The group discussed this need for outreach more fully, and the need to coordinate with the Outreach WG. Abbie and Cathy will try to talk with the chairs soon: Butch and Carol. Margie and Deborah have been following what they are doing, but not too active in the other groups. Right now they are focused out outreach to library school community, we think, but building a framework for reaching out to other communities.

Cultural heritage, data sets and directories. Big issues - major national publicity. Maybe just tie into clearinghouse?

Briefly we discussed how value of content fits into discussion of at-risk. But this is tricky - one person's valued content is not another persons valued content.

Action team B report

No updates from Action team B.

Next Meeting

Our next call will be September 7 at 11am EST. Agenda and call details to be sent a few days prior.

-End-

Abbie Grotke | Web Archiving Team Lead | Office of Strategic Initiatives
National Digital Information and Infrastructure Preservation Program | Library of Congress
http://www.loc.gov/webarchiving/ | http://www.digitalpreservation.gov<http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/>
202-707-2833 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | @agrotke