The Temple University Library is seeking a creative and energetic
individual to fill the newly-created position of Senior Digital
Library Developer in the Digital Library Initiatives Department.
Reporting to the Head of the Department and working closely with other
members of the Digital Library Infrastructure Group, the Senior
Digital Library Developer will play a leading role in designing and
implementing the overall architecture, workflows, and applications for
Temple's digital library services.
* Working with open-source applications and toolkits, design and
implement a multi-purpose repository infrastructure that supports the
ingestion, preservation, and delivery of digital objects, in
accordance with the OAIS model, and with attention to TRAC's
* Provide specialized front-end interfaces to the repository for both
digital object creation and end-user delivery, by using, adapting, and
extending open source and commercial applications.
* Design and implement efficient pipelines to extract, transform and
repurpose metadata and digital objects as needed.
* Gather requirements and develop specifications for various aspects
of the digital library architecture; work closely with digital object
creators and managers to understand their needs.
* Test, evaluate, and recommend potential toolkits and applications
for inclusion in the repository architecture.
* Collaborate with the Library Technology Services Department as well
as Campus-wide Computing Services, to ensure proper management and use
of mass storage clusters, and proper implementation of security
guidelines and authentication/authorization policies.
* Maintain digital library architecture, troubleshooting issues
whenever they arise.
* Maintain awareness of community-wide developments in the realm of
digital library software and infrastructure.
* As the opportunity arises, contribute to the development of Open
Source and Community Source applications.
* Write and maintain documentation for overall architecture and code.
* May supervise junior programmers (part-time student employees or
* Serve on the Digital Library Infrastructure Group.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
BS in Computer Science or related field, and at least two (2) years of
relevant experience. An equivalent combination of education and
experience may be considered.
Required Skills and Abilities:
*Demonstrated experience with web-based development in a programming
language such as Java or Ruby on Rails.
*Demonstrated experience with web-based software integration, for
instance using RESTful APIs.
*Demonstrated experience with Unix/Linux, including basic
administration, shell scripting, device management, working with
protocols like NFS, CIFS, and Webdav, and basic data storage
*Knowledge of current web development standards, including
cross-platform compatibility, ADA compliance, and security.
*Demonstrated ability to perform effective code testing.
*Strong organizational skills, and ability to manage projects
involving a small-to-medium staff team.
*Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a
collaborative team-based environment.
*Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated
ability to write clear documentation.
*Demonstrated ability to communicate well with non-IT staff.
*Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service.
* Experience with software development in an academic library or
higher education setting.
* Experience with managing digital object identifiers, delivering
digital objects to end users (including Jpeg2000 delivery, page
turning viewers, audio/video streaming), and working with
authentication and authorization technologies, including LDAP.
* Knowledge of XML/XSLT, and a scripting language like PHP.
* Experience with metadata extraction, transformation, and repurposing
* Familiarity with digital library standards, such as, Dublin Core,
MARC, METS, EAD, and OAI-PMH.
* Experience with a repository system like Fedora or Dspace.
* Familiarity with CONTENTdm and a Web-based Content Management System
like Drupal would be a plus.
* Experience working with Open Source software; experience with
version control, test-driven development, and continuous integration
techniques, using tools such as Git and Hudson
* Experience managing student workers or full-time staff.
* Experience working in an Agile project management environment.
About Temple University
Temple's federated library system serves an urban research university
with over 1,800 full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is
among the most diverse in the nation. For more information about
Temple and Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu.
Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.
* please go to should go to
* click "Non-Employees Only"
* go to "Search by Job Number" at the bottom of the page, and enter
"TU-15077" in the text box.
Delphine Khanna, Head of Digital Library Initiatives
Temple University Library (http://library.temple.edu)
Samuel L. Paley Library, Room 113, 1210 Polett Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19122
Tel: 215-204-4768 | Fax: 215-204-5201 | Email: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe from the DLF-ANNOUNCE list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link: