Dear all,
I am pleased to report that the DLF will be developing studies that review
and recommend strategies for developing sustainable and scaleable digital
library collections. Three studies have been commissioned so far: one
focusing on third party commercial content (e-journals, A&I services, etc);
one on collections comprising digital surrogates sourced in whole or in part
from the library's own holdings; and one on third-party public domain
Internet content (for more information see
http://www.clir.org/diglib/collections/collstrat.htm

The studies reflect our growing concern with the long-term support and other
costs associated with decisions to develop, acquire, or acquire access to
digital information resources and will be informed in large measure by the
guidelines that are being developed within libraries as they think about
reducing such costs or at least making them more predictable.

A key challenge will be to capture that thinking as it develops and it is
here that I hope you can help.

In particular, I am looking for any guidelines, checklists, etc. that you
have developed (however informally) to assist bibliograpohers, curators, and
others who have responsibility for any (or any part of):

1) planning digitization projects from selection through to implementation

2) identfy, evaluating, procuring, cataloguing, mounting, and maintaining,
and supporting use of third-party commercial electronic content

3) identifying, evaluating, cataloguing, maintaining and supporting use of
third-party public domain Internet content

If you have such guidelines and are willing to share them, I would be
grateful if you would inform me by emailing [log in to unmask]

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Dan

Daniel Greenstein