Bill, here is a note from Mark McFarland re this question.  --Harold

>>For digital projects, are master files (i.e. large high-res files) retained l

Yes, we do retain master files.

>>If so, are these files stored on disk, or written off to CD, DVD, tape?

We store masters on netapps filers and on dlt.

>>Are you compressing these files ... using what?

We are not compressing these files...although this may change as we
acquire more digital video and audio.

>>What level of storage do you currently maintain, and what are the
>>immediate plans for

We currently have 7 terabytes of storage on netapps filers.

Hope this helps ...

>Colleagues,
>
>Here at Tennessee we seem to be expanding the amount of digital data
>at an exponential rate. A TB of storage lasted about a year. We are
>buying another 1.3 TB, knowing it may only get us through another 6
>months. And there is the corresponding need for our backup system to
>keep up with all of this storage. This email is a reality-check for
>us, if you could let us know the state of digital storage at your
>institution.
>
>For digital projects, are master files (i.e. large high-res files)
>retained long-term for preservation purposes?
>
>If so, are these files stored on disk, or written off to CD, DVD, tape?
>
>Are you compressing these files ... using what?
>
>What level of storage do you currently maintain, and what are the
>immediate plans for purchase?
>
>thanks so much,
>
>Bill Britten
>Professor and Head, Library Systems
>647 Hodges Library, UTK, Knoxville, TN 37996-1000
>voice: 865-974-1082 fax: 865-974-0626

Harold Billings
Director of General Libraries
The University of Texas at Austin