Re: mountains of data On 1/10/03 1:05 PM, "Bill Britten" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

For digital projects, are master files (i.e. large high-res files) retained l

Yes, we do retain master files.

If so, are these files stored on disk, or written off to CD, DVD, tape?

We store masters on netapps filers and on dlt.

Are you compressing these files ... using what?

We are not compressing these files...although this may change as we acquire more digital video and audio.

What level of storage do you currently maintain, and what are the immediate plans for

We currently have 7 terabytes of storage on netapps filers.

Hope this helps Bill...

Mark McFarland
Asst. Dir. for Digital Library Services
UT Austin General Libraries
512.495.4358  fax 412.495. 4347

thanks so much,

Bill Britten
Professor and Head, Library Systems
647 Hodges Library, UTK, Knoxville, TN 37996-1000
voice: 865-974-1082 fax: 865-974-0626