1) "A Fight for Free Access to Medical Research: Online Plan Challenges
Publishers' Dominance."
Rick Weiss, Washington Post Staff Writer.  Tuesday, August 5, 2003; Page
A01.

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19104-2003Aug4.html

An article in today's Washington Post about the Public Library of
Science.  The article prominently features Stanford's Michael Keller,
chair of the DLF Executive Committee, and also contains a response to
open access from an Elsevier Vice President.  Well worth your time to
read.

**********************************

2) MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY AND RICE UNIVERSITY ARE LATEST
DIGITAL LIBRARY FEDERATION MEMBERS

Washington, D.C. -- The Digital Library Federation is pleased to
announce that two new Strategic Partners, MIT and Rice University, have
joined in July 2003.

"We are very pleased that these two organizations accepted our
invitation to join," said David Seaman, Director of the DLF. "We are a
relatively small and fast-moving consortium of very active academic
digital libraries and we treat growth cautiously, lest it undermine our
nimbleness of operation; however, the addition of expertise from Rice
and MIT will enrich our understanding of the use of digital library
resources in research and teaching, and will accelerate our engagement
with institutional repositories, courseware systems, and digital
preservation."

Upon accepting the invitation to join DLF, Ann Wolpert, Director of the
MIT Libraries, said "the programs of the Digital Library Federation map
in important ways to the research and development priorities of the MIT
Libraries. We welcome the opportunity to work with our colleagues in the
DLF, and look forward to advancing our commitment to this strategic
domain through membership in this influential organization for digital
library projects."  Charles Henry, Vice President and CIO, Rice
University, adds that "Rice is honored by the invitation to join the
Digital Library Federation. The DLF has assumed a compelling leadership
role for one of the most complex phenomena of the information age. Rice
looks forward to both learning from and contributing to this fundamental
program."

 The Digital Library Federation, founded in 1995, is a partnership
organization of academic libraries and related organizations that are
pioneering the use of electronic-information technologies to extend
their collections and services. Through its members, the DLF provides
leadership for libraries by identifying standards and "best practices"
for digital collections and network access; coordinating research and
development in the libraries' use of technology; and helping to initiate
projects and services that libraries need but cannot develop
individually.  The DLF operates under the administrative umbrella of the
Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR).