From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Subject: ViDe Strategic Planning Survey

Good afternoon.

The Video Development Initiative (ViDe) is in the process of developing
three-year strategic plan. As part of that process, we are conducting an
assessment to help us evaluate our mission, values and competencies, and
guide us in making critical decisions regarding organizational
structure,
legal standing, and sustainable funding. We are surveying leaders in the
higher education community (broadly-defined) with areas of expertise to
help with this assessment. We are asking you to respond to the brief
questionnaire (below and attached). More information about the ViDe's
accomplishments and current workplan can be found on our website,
www.vide.net. Most of the questions in the survey do not require
extensive
knowledge of ViDe and its activities.

We are trying to collect and collate responses by September 22. If you
can
respond, but that deadline doesn't give you enough time, let me know as
soon as possible. Your responses would be very helpful to us,
especially/obviously with regard to the Deaf community and issues of
accessibility.

Thanks for your time and thoughts with regard to this matter.

Regards,

Chris Hodge
University of Tennessee
ViDe Steering Committee

VIDE STRATEGIC PLANNING SURVEY
------------------------------

1) What are the primary and immediate needs in higher education for
digital video and collaborative technologies? What do you see as the
most
critical role(s) for ViDe in supporting those needs?

2) What are the most important areas for research and development in
digital video and collaborative technologies? What do you see as the
most
critical role(s) for ViDe in supporting those needs?

3) What barriers do you see facing higher education's adoption of video
and collaborative technologies?

4) Are you familiar with the activities of ViDe? Based on your
familiarity, to what degree is ViDe currently meeting the needs of
higher
education? Describe the organization's strengths and weaknesses.

5) What specific actions or directions could ViDe take to make it a
better
resource for the higher education community?

6) In what ways could ViDe further define and engage its membership?

7) Outreach is an essential component to ViDe's mission. Based on your
familiarity with ViDe, please evaluate how effective our current efforts
are. In what ways could ViDe enhance or leverage its reputation in
higher
education to become more effective in outreach?

8) Do you see ViDe as an international organization? What specific
strengths and weaknesses do you see ViDe having with regard to this
role?
How can ViDe increase its usefulness to the international community?

9) If you have particular depth or insight into funding:

 a) If ViDe determines that it can best serve its goals by becoming an
independent not-for-profit organization, its success will rely heavily
on
significant outside funding. Based on your understanding of funding
trends, evolving priorities, etc. do you think this is a feasible
approach?

 b) Are there particular areas which you think are more likely to be
funded over the next 1-5 years? Less likely to be funded?

10) May we contact you by phone or e-mail for follow-up in the event we
have questions or would like further detail regarding your answers? If
so,
what is your phone number?

-o0o-