Just wanted you to know that the Oct 15 issue of RLG DigiNews
(www.rlg.org/preserv/diginews) contains an editor's interview with Anne
Murphy on the Digital Promise effort,  which includes the announcement
of  the release of the report on the 24th (and a request that those who
agree with it  write to their Senators urging support for the Dodd
legislative initiative.   Anne
  At 04:15 PM 10/14/2003 -0400, David Seaman wrote:

>Dear Friends,
>

>The pace is quickening.  A major new chapter in the Digital Promise saga
>is starting.
>

>The Report to Congress authorized in PL 108-7, Creating the Digital
>Opportunity Investment Trust (DO IT), A Proposal to Transform Learning and
>Training for the 21st Century, has been finished and will be released to
>all members of Congress on Thursday, October 23rd.  The Report provides a
>recommended Structure and Governance for DO IT, a detailed Rationale, and
>an extensive R&D Roadmap.
>

>At a luncheon in the Capitol on that date, Sen. Christopher Dodd (D-CT)
>and Rep. Ralph Regula (R-OH) will receive the Report on behalf of the
>Congress.  Sen. Dodd will announce plans to introduce implementing
>legislation. Rep. Regula will discuss his efforts to obtain Congressional
>support for developing a realistic prototype that would be designed to
>train local emergency responders to deal with a simulated, virtually real
>major crisis. In addition, with Microsofts help, a brief video will
>demonstrate several dramatic examples of how advanced information
>technology can work to transform education, lifelong learning, and skills
>training.
>

>Other Members of the House and Senate will join their colleagues and
>Digital Promise Coalition leaders, key Congressional staff members, and
>other guests at the luncheon, presided over by co-chairmen Newt Minow and
>Larry Grossman.
>

>The Report to Congress represents thousands of hours of dedicated effort
>by some of Americas best minds and most accomplished and celebrated
>scientists and experts who, without compensation, have contributed to its
>recommendations and conclusions.  We are grateful for their service, and
>for the Congressforesight in authorizing this Report.
>

>Please find our autumn newsletter attached to this email.
>

>Best regards,
>

>Lawrence K. Grossman and Newton N. Minow,
>
>Co-chairmen
>

>Anne G. Murphy,
>
>Project Director

Anne R. Kenney
Associate University Librarian
Instruction, Research, and Information Services
Cornell University Library
213 Olin Library
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-6875