Are you using the log for anything?  You can simply not log and not
worry about all the extra characters, and have Expect look for regular
values you see on the screen.  E.g.

send "03"
expect "LOCATION"
send "="
expect "LOCATION ="
send -h "ares\r"

We are using Expect & perl to create  new materials lists off of our III
system and output to the web - see
http://library.bowdoin.edu/cataloging/new/

Would be happy to share scripts, with the caveat that I'm NOT a
programmer, and there are most likely more elegant ways to do things
than I have!