On Mar 26, 2005, at 11:03 AM, Gmane Administrator wrote:

> We  have  received a  request  for  adding the
> mailing list  to the Gmane mail-to-news  gateway/archive. A
> subscription
> request  message has  been sent.  If this  is contrary  to  your
> wishes,
> please send  a mail to [log in to unmask]  saying so, and the  list will
> be
> removed from Gmane.
>
> Gmane is a mail-to-news portal that never expires its messages.  It
> therefore also functions as a mailing list archive.  It's a
> bi-directional gateway, but Gmane verifies that its users' email
> addresses are valid before passing the messages through the
> news-to-mail gateway.  (Groups can also be made "read-only", which
> means that Gmane won't forward any messages at all to the mailing
> list.)
>
> The following parameters are set for this mailing list:
>
>     * Newsgroup name: gmane.education.code4lib
>     * Mailing list address: [log in to unmask]
>     * The gateway is bi-directional
>     * Address encryption is off
>     * Spam detection is on
>     * The list is described as:
>       "Programming for Library/InfoSci Folks"
>     * News URL: news://news.gmane.org/gmane.education.code4lib
>     * Web URL: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.education.code4lib
>
> This newsgroup will be created when the first message from the
> mailing list arrives.
>
> For more information about the Gmane project, go to
>
> This request was handled by
> [log in to unmask] (Nicolas Bareil).

I got the message above describing how Code4Lib has been added to a
thing called Gmane.

Apparently Gmane is a mailing archiver and usenet news feeder. I have
no secrets, and I don't really mind this sort of thing happening to our
list, but what do y'all think? Should I do nothing, or should I try to
remove Code4Lib from their archive?

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame