On Aug 28, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Edward Summers wrote:

>> <!cript type='text/html' src='http://foo/bar.cgi' />
>
> If you meant "text/javascript" then this could work if your Perl
> program bar.cgi generated JavaScript...

Yep, that's what I figured out. Thank you.

The secret incantation to embed a client-side Javascript looks like
this:

   <!cript type='text/javascript' src='http://example.org/foo/
bar.cgi'></script>

The trick is to have bar.cgi return Javascript code. Your CGI can be
written in whatever (Perl, Python, PHP, etc.), but it needs to output
Javascript.

I exploited this technique in an implementation of MyLibrary. I:

   1. installed MyLibrary
   2. used the sample admin interface to create
      sets of facets and terms
   3. populated the system with Internet resources
   4. wrote a simple CGI for a browsable interface
   5. wrote a second CGI to output Javascript

For a good time, see:

   * a simple MyLibrary - http://infomotions.com/mylibrary/
   * about Javascript output - http://infomotions.com/mylibrary/?
cmd=webmasters

Using this Javascript technique it is much easier to syndicate
MyLibrary content to other venues; it is important for libraries to
put their content where the user's are and not necessarily expect
users to come to our Web pages.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame