Like NARA, the Library of Congress (in particular, the Geography and Maps Division) has been involved with FGDC for many years (probably since inception).  Some elements have been added to the MARC specification to allow mapping of important elements.

LC is sponsoring a number of digital preservation partnerships through the NDIIPP program.  See http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/   At least two of the projects (and maybe more) will make use of FGDC for metadata (not necessarily exclusively).  They are specifically geospatial in nature:

http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/ncgdap/research.html
http://www.ngda.org/

A third project involves social science data sets -- http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DATAPASS/.  The Data Documentation Initiative (DDI) metadata schema for social science data sets (to be used for Data-PASS) incorporates boundary boxes and boundary polygons from FGDC as a potential way to describe the spatial coverage of studies.  This feature will not be significant for the specific project, but there is great interest in ways to relate social science and geospatial datasets.

Caroline Arms

Library of Congress, Office of Strategic Initiatives

>>> Ken Thibodeau <[log in to unmask]> 03/06/06 4:03 AM >>>
NARA has been a member of the FGDC since its inception

KenT

Kenneth Thibodeau, Ph.D.
Director
Electronic Records Archives Program, NHE
National Archives and Records Administration
8601 Adelphi Rd.  1510
College Park, MD 20740-6001

Phone: 1-301-837-0861
Fax 1-301-837-0953
>>> MacKenzie Smith <[log in to unmask]> 03/03/06 14:37 PM >>>
Hi Greg,

At 08:10 AM 3/1/2006 -0500, gmarch wrote:
>I am curious to know if any DLF partners are actively involved with FGDC
>metadata related projects?

The MIT Geodata Repository http://libraries.mit.edu/gis/data/repository.html
is also based on FGDC for description. The FGDC metadata is mostly
created in house by the Libraries' GIS staff.

MacKenzie

MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology
MIT Libraries