On 5/25/06, Edward Corrado <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have been asked to set up an Open Source ILS for someone who is
> teaching a cataloging class this summer. One of the things she was
> hoping to be able to do with it is have students work with MARC
> Authority records. I can't find any evidence that any of the currently
> available [1] Open ILS systems use MARC Authority records [2]. Does
> anyone know of one that does? Maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Ed C.
>

> [1] A 2002 article in Information Today
> (http://www.librarytechnology.org/ltg-displaytext.pl?RC=9975) mentions
> that the LearningAccess ILS uses MARC Authority records, but I went to
> there website and didn't see any evidence that this product was still an
> Open Source program (and also I didn't see no way to download it). I
> will probably contact them separately if I can't find another system to use.
>
> [2] It appears that Evergreen will use MARC Authority records, but the
> wiki says "authority control in marc editor" is still on the to-do
> list*"****
> *

We (OpenILS/Evergreen) do import authority records, and we use them
for search augmentation -- see-also and see-from for subject, author
and series, as well as hints where there are few or no hits for a
term.  By the end of this summer, our MARC editor will use authority
records to verify the use of controlled terms on specific tags and
subfields.

What we don't currently have is a direct user interface for
manipulating authority records.  I expect that this will come sometime
in the fall of this year.

Hope that helps!

--
Mike Rylander