K.G. Schneider wrote:

> Particularly since one librarian's solidus is another librarian's virgule...

"Solidus" is the name given to the glyph by ISO in it's character set
documents, as I recall, although I don't have a reference close at hand.
Interestingly, Wikipedia claims that the solidus and the virgule are
typographically distinct, with the solidus being "significantly more
oblique than the virgule."  But then, it goes on to say that we use the
virgule in our URLs, since that's what we get on the keyboard.[1]

[1] See the last paragraph of the section "English" in the entry "Slash
(punctuation)" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_(punctuation)#English

--
David J. Fiander
Digital Services Librarian