On 5/22/06, Houghton,Andrew <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [...]

Wait.  A few seconds? You're kidding, right?  An indexed look up of
the group id for the original ISBN, and then 1 subsequent look up by
that group id (should also be indexed) should be on the order of 1
millisecond /total/.  Equality index scans are fast in every database
worth using.

> The tradeoff is that the ISBN to ISBN relationship table uses more
> storage space which translates to longer database reindexing, backup,
> etc. times from an operational perspective.  It also means that during
> updates, you have 4 times the number of records to update which will
> impact performance.  Also, if we try to scale the ISBN to ISBN
> relationship table to a catalog with significantly more items, then
> it will become unmanageable.

Just so we're clear, we are talking about, at most, .5M rows that are
perhaps 50 bytes wide, with internal data.  That translates to ~25
megabytes for the table, and the indexes would be /maybe/ 5 megs each.

> When reading Ben's description of the problem he states: "we want to be
> able to display links to other versions of the same work (audiobooks,
> large print, possibly translations)."  From a database design, you
> probably want to track "audiobook", "large print", etc. with the item.
> Using the ISBN to ISBN relationship table design, because the data is
> unnormalized, we will continue to store duplicate information in the
> database as we extend the database design:
>
> Column 1        Column 2        Column 3
> --------        --------        --------
> ISBN-1  ISBN-1  book
> ISBN-1  ISBN-2  audiobook
> ISBN-1  ISBN-3  large print
> ISBN-1  ISBN-4  video
> ISBN-2  ISBN-1  book
> ISBN-2  ISBN-2  audiobook
> ISBN-2  ISBN-3  large print
> ISBN-2  ISBN-4  video
> ISBN-3  ISBN-1  book
> ISBN-3  ISBN-2  audiobook
> ISBN-3  ISBN-3  large print
> ISBN-3  ISBN-4  video
> ISBN-4  ISBN-1  book
> ISBN-4  ISBN-2  audiobook
> ISBN-4  ISBN-3  large print
> ISBN-4  ISBN-4  video
>
> we could mitigate this duplicate information in the database design
> by creating a "format" table and use the Foreign Key.  However, we
> still have 12 duplicate foreign keys because the original data was
> unnormalized.

Can you not search by ISBN and type in the main catalog?  (I'm not a
Horizon user, so I have no idea.)

--
Mike Rylander
GPLS -- PINES Development