I've been out, and so haven't been following this, but I'll try to
explain what xISBN is doing.

The xISBN service runs from a fairly simple file.  We generate clusters
of ISBNs based on FRBR work-set groupings and refine them so that each
ISBN is in only a single cluster.

Each ISBN in each cluster of size 2 or more was written to a file,
followed by the rest of the ISBNs in that cluster, sorted by number of
library holdings.

That file is sorted by ISBN, and we currently actually read that file
into memory as one big string.  We search the string to find the proper
group using some simple indexes and binary search.  Since all the
information is in memory and all that has to be done is to reformat it
into XML, the service is very fast (but sits there with several hundred
megabytes of data).

Hope that's a clear enough explanation of how we're currently doing it.
The main computation is the refinement of the initial clusters.  It
takes around an hour to run on our 48-cpu cluster, about as long as the
initial FRBR grouping on WorldCat.

--Th