Hi Wayne,

This is something we are wrestling with in my department at Stanford as
well.

JPEG 2000 is not supported by any browser, so web delivery displays in JPEG
format. JPEG is completely appropriate for continous tone images, and I
think it is a very good option for delivery of photographs, illustrations,
etc.

However, on one of my projects we are dealing with manuscript texts. From my
vantage point (I worked at Adobe for several years) there are better file
formats to display texts on the web. PNG and GIF tend to yield crisper
edges, better overall quality and nice small files.

JPEG looks ok on manuscript texts, but the images are generally darker,
fuzzier and artifact laden.

Wayne, thank you for opening this up for discussion. I'm so interested to
hear what others have to say on the subject.

Best,

Alison

Alison Parks-Whitfield

Stanford University