NISO Board Appoints Todd Carpenter to Lead Organization

The National Information Standards Organization (NISO) announced today
that Todd Carpenter will take over as Managing Director, effective
September 1, 2006. Carpenter steps into NISO's leadership position at a
time when the Board of Directors has begun implementing a strategic plan
designed to improve constituency relationships, standards development,
and operational procedures.

"NISO's new strategic plan calls for a new leader with a deep
understanding of our members' needs as well as their existing practices
and priorities," said Carl Grant, President and COO of VTLS and NISO's
Board Chair. "We believe Todd has the acumen we need and the vision to
ensure that NISO's contributions to the NISO community remain valuable."

Leadership in collaborative initiatives and partnerships among libraries
and publishers has been a key aspect of Carpenter's career. As Director
of Business Development with BioOne, a not-for-profit online journal
aggregator, he has served the goals of both constituencies by enhancing
the products, services and distribution that BioOne provides to
participant publishers and subscribers. Among Carpenter's successes at
BioOne was the development and execution of a multi-faceted business
model realignment, which balances library fiscal constraints with
publisher's revenue needs as institutions transition from print to
electronic subscription models.

Previously, Carpenter was at the Johns Hopkins University Press, where
he directed the marketing of their 60 academic journals and was closely
involved in the growth of Project MUSE, JHUP's online aggregation of
humanities and social science journals. He also held marketing and
business development positions at the Energy Intelligence Group, a news
service covering the oil and natural gas industries, and the Haworth
Press, an academic and professional publisher. He is a graduate of
Syracuse University, earned a masters degree in marketing from The Johns
Hopkins University, and is an active member of the Society for Scholarly
Publishing.

"This is an incredible opportunity at a key juncture in NISO's
evolution," said Carpenter. "Standards development is the single best
example of where cooperation serves the interests of the library,
publishers, and technical-provider communities. I am excited about
implementing NISO's strategic plan, which is focused on improving the
efficiency of information standards development, expanding the scope of
NISO's services, and enhancing involvement of each of NISO's key
constituencies."