NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release:  9 August 2006

Contact: Barrie Howard [log in to unmask]

DAVID SEAMAN TO JOIN THE DARTMOUTH COLLEGE LIBRARY

WASHINGTON, D.C.—David M. Seaman, currently Executive Director of the Digital Library Federation (DLF), will become Associate Librarian for Information Management at Dartmouth College Library when his DLF contract concludes in December 2006.  This new position includes Dartmouth’s Cataloging and Metadata Services, Digital Library Technologies, and Preservation Services.

"I am very pleased that David Seaman has accepted the invitation to join our library," said Jeffrey L. Horrell, Dean of Libraries and Librarian of the College at Dartmouth. "We look forward to welcoming David to Hanover later in the year."

David Seaman adds, "DLF continues to be a remarkable experience for me –- collaborative, ambitious, and effective.  However, after four years of initiatives, publications, forums, and new members, it is time for me to exchange the challenges and pleasures of an international federation for those of a major academic library.  I am delighted to be joining Dartmouth College Library’s administrative team, and look forward to working with my new colleagues to continue the mission of their strong and thriving organization."

"DLF has been fortunate to benefit from David’s talent and expertise for the last four years," notes Carol A. Mandel, DLF President and Dean of Libraries at New York University.  "Under his leadership we have grown to include international members –-  the British Library, JISC, Oxford University, and the Bibliotheca Alexandrina –- as well as new US institutions, have continued a thriving series of initiatives and publications that further the collaborative efforts of our libraries, have completed strategic and governance work, and have seen the semi-annual Forums become a premier venue for DLF librarians to demonstrate their work, learn from each other, and to formulate new areas of collaboration and development."

David Seaman has been Executive Director of DLF since 2002.  He was previously Director of the Electronic Text Center at the University of Virginia Library (1992-2002).   David has published widely on digital libraries and collections, spoken on similar topics around the world, and has served as a faculty member at the University of Virginia’s Rare Book School since 1993, teaching courses on electronic texts and images.

The Digital Library Federation, founded in 1995, is a partnership organization of 40 academic libraries and related organizations that are pioneering the use of electronic-information technologies to extend their collections and services. DLF provides leadership for libraries by identifying standards and "best practices" for digital collections and network access, coordinating research and development in the libraries' use of technology, and incubating projects and services that libraries need but cannot develop individually. http://www.diglib.org/

Dartmouth College, founded in 1769, is the nation's ninth oldest college and a member of the Ivy League.  It is a private, four-year, liberal arts, coeducational college located in Hanover, New Hampshire, and includes schools of business, engineering and medicine as well as 18 graduate programs in the arts and sciences. The Dartmouth College Library includes nine libraries on the College and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center campuses, including 2.5 million volumes, 21,000 current periodicals, and six million pages of manuscripts. The Digital Library at Dartmouth is the gateway to a rich collection of online resources, including more than 30,000 e-journals, 100,000 e-books, and 800 research databases.  http://www.dartmouth.edu/