> On Sep 5, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Tim Spalding wrote:
> > If nobody will lend us their CDs, we'll probalby just buy the CDs, and
> > give the data out for free.
>
> If you go this route please let us know your paypal ID. :-)
>
> //Ed

Tim, don't abandon hope of getting those CDs; as long as it's legal/legit,
there are probably many libraries that would just as soon see them
"recycled" as pitch them. As someone else pointed out (as I have said about
LII to stakeholders far too many times...), you're paying for the currency
and upkeep of the data, so you want a relationship with an organization that
will keep feeding you. I can't imagine you couldn't work out a
barter/sponsorship with an organization that would find it useful to be
known as the "sister city" to LibraryThing. You just need to figure out why
it's worth it to them to do this.

(Then again, what's it worth to you to buy 'em!)

Of course, that SRU thingamabob will be kewl... but a billion-record
database in the hand is worth two in the development hopper...

Karen G. Schneider