The google news archive. Now includes non-current content.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/05/AR2006090501563.html

Most of the time, users will need to pay to get access to full text for
this content.

So, link resolvers. Like with Google Scholar. Can we get link resolver
integration into Google news? Several problems present themselves. One
is that the databases we have most likely to include historical popular
press stuff do not play so well with link resolvers, not generally doing
article-level linking. This is a problem. But should not stop us from
trying. It is arguably a service to let the users know they could have
free access, even if they can't get there in one click. (Are the users
willing to pay $5 to avoid our bad interfaces? Sadly, perhaps. Maybe
this will let us put a market value on bad interfaces.) And once we get
something going, we can try to make it work better, with vendor
cooperation or not.

Another problem is that Google may be unwilling to do this, becuase
their publisher partners may be unhappy with Google directing people
away from their revenue stream.

Then I think, more as a thought experiment than as anything
useful---would it be possible to use GreaseMonkey to add link resolver
links to the google news archive page, even if google doesn't? I don't
think this would result in a realistic production solution, but it's an
interesting idea anyway. I'm not sure if it would really be possible
though, it seems like there probably isn't sufficient metadata that can
be scraped from the summary page.

Jonathan