Please contact Dan Cohen ([log in to unmask]) if you would like to learn
more about these positions. (I'm on the advisory group for the Zotero
Project)

Senior Programmer: The Center for History & New Media
(http://chnm.gmu.edu) at George Mason University is seeking a programmer
to work primarily on Zotero (http://www.zotero.org), an open source
bibliographic management and note-taking tool for the Firefox web
browser. Applicants should have an advanced knowledge of JavaScript,
XUL, XML, CSS, and other technologies critical for Firefox development,
such as XPCOM. Applicants should also have a working knowledge of PHP,
Java, and MySQL, and have solid command-line Linux skills. Ability to
work in a team is very important. This is a grant-funded, two-year
position at the Center for History and New Media (http://chnm.gmu.edu),
which is known for innovative work in digital media. Located in Fairfax,
Virginia, CHNM is 15 miles from Washington, DC, and accessible by public
transportation. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references
to [log in to unmask] with subject line “senior programmer.” Applications
without a cover letter and resume will not be considered. The cover
letter should include salary requirements and a description of relevant
programming projects and experience. We will begin considering
applications on 10/15/2006 and continue until the position is filled.

Technology Evangelist: The Center for History & New Media at George
Mason University is seeking a technology evangelist for Zotero
(www.zotero.org), an open source bibliographic management and
note-taking tool for the Firefox web browser. The technology evangelist
will be responsible for building alliances with scholarly organizations
and libraries, encouraging scholars to try Zotero, developing and
maintaining user documentation, and building awareness of this
next-generation research tool. We are looking for an energetic,
well-organized individual with excellent written and oral communication
skills. Applicants should have at least some graduate training in
library science or one of the humanities or social science disciplines
as well as familiarity with relevant technologies (e.g., XML, RDF,
metadata standards, and Firefox extensions) and scholarly research
practices. This is a grant-funded, two-year position at the Center for
History and New Media (http://chnm.gmu.edu) at George Mason University,
which is known for innovative work in digital media. Located in Fairfax,
Virginia, CHNM is 15 miles from Washington, DC, and accessible by public
transportation. Please send letter of application, CV, or resume, and
three references to [log in to unmask] with the subject line “Technology
Evangelist.” We will begin considering applications October 15, 2006,
and continue until the position is filled.

Web Designer: The Center for History & New Media at George Mason
University is seeking a web designer and developer. We require an
energetic and well-organized individual to work on a variety of
innovative, web-based history projects. This position is particularly
appropriate for someone with a combined interest in technology and
history. The successful applicant will be able to create mockups and
wireframes for historical, cultural, and educational websites and bring
those ideas to fruition using the latest and highest web development
standards. Fluency with current web design technologies (including
ability to hand code HTML, CSS, and Javascript) and familiarity with web
accessibility and web usability standards are essential. Some
familiarity with web-database technologies (MySQL, PHP), contemporary
trends in web development (e.g., AJAX, DHTML and DOM Scripting, Rails)
and multimedia and graphic design applications (Flash, including
ActionScript, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator) is a plus, as is
prior work in history or the humanities. This is a grant-funded two-year
position at the Center for History and New Media (http://chnm.gmu.edu),
which is known for innovative work in digital media. Located in Fairfax,
Virginia, CHNM is 15 miles from Washington, DC, and accessible by public
transportation.Please send a resume, three references, links to prior
web/multimedia work, and a cover letter describing technology background
and any interest in history to [log in to unmask] with subject line “Web
Designer.” Salary: $32-40K plus excellent benefits. We will begin
considering applications on 10/15/2006 and continue until the position
is filled.

About CHNM: Since 1994, the Center for History and New Media at George
Mason University has used digital media and computer technology to
change the ways that people—scholars, students, and the general
public—learn about and use the past. We do that by bringing together the
most exciting and innovative digital media with the latest and best
historical scholarship. We believe that serious scholarship and cutting
edge multimedia can be combined to promote an inclusive and democratic
understanding of the past as well as a broad historical literacy that
fosters deep understanding of the most complex issues about the past and
present. CHNM’s work has been internationally recognized for
cutting-edge work in history and new media. Located in Fairfax,
Virginia, CHNM is 15 miles from Washington, DC, and is accessible by
public transportation.

Raymond Yee                            2195 Hearst (250-22)
Data Architect                                  UC Berkeley
IST-Data Services                   Berkeley, CA 94720-3810
[log in to unmask]                        510-642-0476 (work)
http://iu.berkeley.edu/rdhyee           413-541-5683  (fax)