Hi Jody:

I just started at my current library in March, and was horrified to
discover that our ILS Web server hostnames were "sirsiweb" and "iLink".
Our library was a victim of vendor branding from several years back,
when our vendor installed and configured our servers for our trusting
librarians. The worst part is that we actually refer to our OPAC as
"iLink" in all of our library documentation and training materials for
students -- this adds one more hook into the vendor's grip on our
account and will make it that much more painful if we decide to switch
to another ILS system some day.

Let this be a strong plea to your readers to choose nice, generic
hostnames for their public-facing servers to help them avoid vendor
lock-in.

Dan Scott