On Nov 27, 2006, at 6:12 PM, Binkley, Peter wrote:

> Fair point, and that's how my current solr-based project works. I'm
> thinking I would like the other advantages of an XML db: the
> ability to
> run xqueries, batch updates, etc., alongside the Lucene searching.
> And I
> want them integrated under the hood in Solr so that people smarter
> than
> me will maintain and optimize the connections. But I agree that this
> approach will have to prove that the extra overhead is worth it.

The main concern I have is where the "hood" line is drawn here.  I
don't think Solr should become a central repository interface, but it
should be easily integrated and perhaps be able to tie in external
resources to returned results.

My ideal solution is WebDAV interface with commit hooks into Solr.
With Subversion behind the scenes of the WebDAV interface, or an XML
database, or file system or whatever. :)

        Erik