From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Michael McCulley
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] OpenFRBR

As an aside thought, it occurred to me during this discussion that an
open-sourced IBDB (International Book Database) - a la IMDB, would be
grand Web 2.0 and 21st Century project. Has Amazon and Open WorldCat and
other similar services made an "open" IBDB an impossible dream?

What if you could add your records to [insert catalog system or service
here] *and* at the same time, populate an open-source book database with
the records? Contribute to a "home" system, and a "global" one at the
same time?

I see that there's already a IDBD (Internet Broadway Database), but that
issue aside..

Without building a "new" core data collection - beyond MARC, meets or
exceeds FRBR needs and goals - how else can we envision "getting there"
(next generation OPAC heaven)?

Best,
Michael
(speaking only for himself)

Michael McCulley, Collection Analysis & Online Services (CAOS) San Diego
Public Library, 820 E Street, San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: 619-702-8731 / FAX: 619-233-1892
E-mail: [log in to unmask]