At NCSU, we don't have any survey or focus group data about user
interest in limiting by availability. But we do have an availability
limit on our catalog search results page. It's a link at the top of the
page that says 'limit results to currently available items'.

http://www2.lib.ncsu.edu/catalog/?N=0&Nty=1&Ntk=Keyword&view=full&Ntt=deforestation

Thought maybe folks would be interested in our stats. I'm generalizing a
bit with these figures, but I think they give a feel for usage.

For the period July - November 2006, we saw approximately 5,746
uses of the limit to available functionality. If you compare that with
total use of our various facets (including our 'new book' facet), that's
out of 352,292 (about 1.6%). It's actually our least used facet (*gasp*).

In that time period, we also processed about 538,283 search requests.
So maybe just under 1.1% of search requests used an availability limit.

Of course, like any statistic, interpreting it is fraught with danger.
Do people not use it b/c it's too small? Would it be more useful if it
was placed elsewhere on the screen? Would folks use it less if it wasn't
at the top? What if we changed the wording?

The problem we always face with this type of statistics is: what the
heck to do with those numbers?

-emily lynema

--
Emily Lynema