> As long as we're on the subject, does anyone want to share strategies
> for syncing circulation data? It sounds like we're all talking about
> the parallel systems á la NCSU's Endeca system, which I think is a
> great idea. It's the circ data that keeps nagging at me, though. Is
> there an elegant way to use your fancy new faceted browser to search
> against circ data w/out re-dumping the whole thing every night?

I had assumed from the get-go that any Lucene/Solr type front-end would require some link back into the ILS for real-time circ info -- to my mind, periodic syncing of data just isn't good enough.  I don't want to take two steps forward with the catalog search interface and have to take three steps backward with not having access to the other data in the ILS.  Whether that link-back is via Z39.50 as Eric suggested, or NCIP (hah!) or direct programming of SQL, something will have to be done.

-- Michael

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington
# 817-272-5326 office