On Mar 20, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Laurence Finston wrote:

>> I am pleased to announce that the package I have been developing
>> has been accepted into the GNU Project of the Free Software
>> Foundation under the name "GNU Metadata Exchange Utilities".
>
> Further information can be found on the webpage:
>
>   http://www.nongnu.org/iwf-mdh/

Laurence, this is very interesting, and thank you for brining it to
our attention.

To what degree do you see the development of the Exchange Utilities
moving away from a Microsoft-based environment? Much of the code is
written in C++ (++), but don't know how portable that is. Moreover,
some of the descriptive text alludes to Microsoft SQL Server as the
underlying database. Alas, many of us don't have access this RDMS.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department