I believe Andy Powell wrote up a blog entry on this possibility...

Yep, he did ­ itıs aat
http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/2007/01/repositories_an.html

-- jaf

On 3/22/07 9:16 PM, "Harrison Dekker" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but it seems to me that another possible
> application of OpenID might be to uniquely digital identifier for authors.
> In other words, the OpenID could serve as a basis for a sort of open access
> authority control service (in addition to the obvious single sign-on
> purpose)
>
> Harrison
>
> On 3/22/07, William Denton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I hadn't been too clear on OpenID but a week or two ago I listened to a
>> > recording of a talk about that explained it well.  I can't find it again,
>> > unfortunately, but you can take my word for it that it was pretty good.
>> >
>> > Is OpenID being used in libraries?  It struck me that it could work well
>> > for library systems that share resources: two systems that are part of the
>> > same consortium or provincial/state system; two neighbouring public
>> > systems that let people from one borrow at the other; academic libraries
>> > that want to make it easy for visiting profs and grad students to get
>> > temporary access to online resources; etc.
>> >
>> > Say I live in Lower Mowat but one day I'm in Upper Mowat, in the next
>> > municipality (or county, or whatever) over, visiting my tailor.  The two
>> > library systems are separate but share their resources.  I pop into the
>> > library to update my Twittering friends on my inseam measurement.  I don't
>> > actually have an account at the Upper Mowat Library, but I log in to one
>> > of their computers using my Lower Mowat-supplied OpenID identifier, and
>> > the Upper Mowat system recognizes where I'm from and gives me access to
>> > everything.
>> >
>> > Bill
>> > --
>> > William Denton, Toronto : miskatonic.org : frbr.org : openfrbr.org
>> >

> --
> Harrison Dekker
> Coordinator of Data Services
> Doe/Moffitt Libraries, UC Berkeley

-- jaf

Jeremy Frumkin
The Gray Chair for Innovative Library Services
121 The Valley Library, Oregon State University
Corvallis OR 97331-4501

541.737.9928
541.737.3453 (Fax)
541.230.4483 (Cell)
" Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. "
- Emerson