If I understand you correctly, you want to allow "instant
registration" so that a user can register and immediately use online
databases, without having to step foot in a library?  Further, this is
something you anticipate for the future, and not something you want
_just_ for migration?

Assuming I'm understanding your correctly, I have a couple ideas.  All
in all, it depends really on how you authenticate access to your
databases (SIP/NCIP or just dummy 'Does this meet the rules for a
valid number'?-type authentication).  I'm going to assume that it's
the second (or, perhaps if you use number 1 you can also check number
2 if number 1 comes back with a 'soft' failure [user not registered...
denial would be caused by delinquency/expiration/etc]).

My first thought would be to create a "dummy" registration system.  A
person fills out a form online.  The contents of this form are
e-mailed to a library.  The system generates a number that meets the
validation criteria for the databases, but would not be valid for the
PAC or the like.  For example, if your libraries use a patron barcode
scheme 2BBBBXXXXXXXXC (where B is a branch ID number, XXXXXXXX is the
patrons' "serial number" at that particular branch and C is a
mathematically-calculated checkdigit), your "electronically-generated"
barcode numbers could use a branch ID of something you'd be unlikely
to utilize in the system (such as 9999, so a sample barcode may be
29999000000014).

A second option may be to frequently create a number of "dummy" patron
records with real barcode numbers.  These barcode numbers will then be
placed in a database on your web site.  A patron will register using a
web form, and when he/she clicks "submit" the application will be
e-mailed to the library staff.  He will then get his real card number
and PIN and can use this for requesting items in the PAC/etc.  He
would then be instructed to come to the library to get his actual
card.  The staff would take the e-mail application and update the
"dummy" registration to reflect his actual data.

A third option would be to not utilize numbers at all.  If you can add
an authentication to your database provider to support access from a
referer page, you could create a temporary-use form on your web site.
A user would have to fill this out, and upon completion he can access
your databases (because the referer would be your web site).  A
downside is not all database vendors support this type of
"authentication", and many firewalls are beginning to block
HTTP_REFERER.

As a final note, if Patron Self Registration from the OPAC is a
feature you may find useful (for databases or otherwise), file an
enhancement request with SIRSI.  Quite a number of systems' DO support
a self-registration mechanism, and chances are it's probably on their
"to-do list" anyway... But, if people start asking for it, the
priority will rise!

Good luck in your migration, and I hope this helps!
--Don McMorris