> > Without reading any of that you can see the results of the
> query for
> > your ISBN here:
> >
> http://api.talis.com/bf/stores/ukbib/items?query=isbn%3A0195024028&max
> > =1
> > 0&offset=0&xsl=&content-type=
>
> Thanks, Richard.  Stripped of all the wrapping, that looks
> like so, with ns.0 as the Dublin Core namespace:

Yes.  Initially the namespace labelling convention of ns.0, ns.1, etc.
can be a little confusing.  The reason behind that is, because of the
inherent data augmentation capabilities of the Bigfoot stores, it is
quite possible any namespace prefix you might choose may already be used
for some other section of the data.  This is where the, little used but
very handy, XPath function namespace-uri() comes in handy for confirming
the actual namespace that a node is part of, regardless of the prefix
used.

> That's your basic Dublin Core metadata.  Depending on how
> much I need, that may be good enough as a last resort, or I
> may try running it through a DC-to-MARC crosswalk.  At the
> very least, as a final resort, it's certainly better than
> nothing, and a large union catalogue is a very useful data source.

Let me know how you get on, both with the coverage of the data and your
crosswalking.

> http://blogs.talis.com/panlibus/archives/2007/04/when_is_data_no.php.
>
> Good Lord, was that only nine days ago?  I'd read it, but
> forgotten about it.  The amount of blog entries we library
> types post gets overwhelming sometimes.

Yes I forget writing them sometimes ;-)

> It's still wrong.  I
> can't do anything to change it right now, but I can work around it.

 Just talking about it will help, and there seems to be much more of
that going on now.  Open conversation and open thought may well be a
precursor to open data - we can all hope.

Richard Wallis
Technology Evangelist, Talis
Tel: +44 (0)870 400 5422 (Direct)
Tel: +44 (0)870 400 5000 (Switchboard)
Tel: +44 (0)7767 886 005 (Mobile)
Fax: +44 (0)870 400 5001
IM: [log in to unmask]
I-Name: =Richard.Wallis

The very latest from Talis
read the latest news at www.talis.com/news
listen to our podcasts www.talis.com/podcasts
see us at these events www.talis.com/events
join the discussion here www.talis.com/forums
join our developer community www.talis.com/tdn
and read our blogs www.talis.com/blogs

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.