Hi Kevin

We've been using aspell for just over a year using a similar method to the one you've outlined.  The command line I've been using to build the custom dictionary (on a Windows box) is:

    aspell.exe --lang=en_GB create master ./title.list < titlewords.txt

...where "titlewords.txt" is a file containing the unique words from the item titles (with each word on a separate line) and "title.list" is the dictionary file that gets created.

Unfortunately I did our implementation in mod_perl, so I'm not sure how you go about getting PHP to pick up a custom dictionary.  Anyway, using the Perl Text::Aspell module, our code contains:

    my $speller = Text::Aspell->new;
    $speller->set_option('sug-mode','ultra');
    $speller->set_option('master','/Apache2/modperl/HIP/title.list');
    my @suggestions = $speller->suggest( $word );

If you want to see it in action, try these:
    http://library.hud.ac.uk/catlink/title/newmonia <http://library.hud.ac.uk/catlink/title/newmonia>
    http://library.hud.ac.uk/catlink/author/newmonia <http://library.hud.ac.uk/catlink/author/newmonia>
    http://library.hud.ac.uk/catlink/title/gibberish <http://library.hud.ac.uk/catlink/title/gibberish>

...also, be aware that using your own custom dictionaries might highlight the typos in some of your MARC records!

    http://library.hud.ac.uk/catlink/general/suckcesful <http://library.hud.ac.uk/catlink/general/suckcesful>

regards
Dave Pattern
University of Huddersfield