We are very pleased to announce the first issue of Digital Humanities Quarterly at
http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/. DHQ is an open-access, peer-reviewed scholarly
journal covering all aspects of digital media in the humanities, published online by the
Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations.

DHQ Volume 1, Issue 1 (Spring 2007)

Interpretative Quests in Theory and Pedagogy
Jeff Howard, University of Texas, Austin

Webs of Significance: The Abraham Lincoln Historical Digitization Project, New
Technology, and the Democratization of History
Drew VandeCreek, Northern Illinois University

Encoding for Endangered Tibetan Texts
Linda E. Patrik, Union College

Reading Potential: The Oulipo and the Meaning of Algorithms
Mark Wolff, Hartwick College

Tenure, Promotion and Digital Publication
Joseph Raben, Queens College, City University of New York

Philosophy and Digital Humanities: A review of Willard McCarty, Humanities Computing
(London and NY: Palgrave, 2005)
Johanna Drucker, University of Virginia

This first issue brings together a fascinating range of perspectives, and we expect this
breadth to be even more visible as future issues accumulate. We look forward to
showcasing the wide variety of materials that are being submitted, both from traditional
digital humanities domains and from important related areas such as new media studies,
digital libraries, and digital art. New pieces will be added in a preview section as soon as
they are ready for publication, and a quarterly announcement will notify readers when
each new issue is complete. Please bookmark the site for now; an RSS feed will be
coming soon. During the course of the next year we will also be adding more features
such as commenting, searching, and a variety of ways of interacting with the content.

DHQ is a community experiment in journal publication:  developed and published in XML
on an open-source platform, under a Creative Commons license. The journal publishes a
wide range of peer-reviewed materials, including scholarly articles, editorials, opinion
pieces, and reviews. We encourage submissions that exploit the expressive potential of
the digital medium. Information about submissions, reviewing, and the journal's mission
are available at the DHQ web site at http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/

We would like to take this opportunity to thank our funders: the Alliance of Digital
Humanities Organizations (ADHO, http://www.digitalhumanities.org) and the Association
for Computers and the Humanities (ACH, http://www.ach.org).

Warm thanks and acknowledgements are also very much in order to the team that has
been involved in developing the journal:

John A. Walsh, Technical Editor, Indiana University
Matthew Kirschenbaum, Articles Editor, University of Maryland
Adriaan van der Weel, Articles Editor, University of Leiden
Stéfan Sinclair, Blogs Editor, McMaster University
Geoffrey Rockwell, Associate Interactive Media Editor, McMaster University
Joseph Raben,  Editor for Issues in Humanities Computing,  Queens College, City
University of New York
Richard Giordano, Reviews Editor, Birkbeck College, University of London
Elisabeth Burr, Internationalization Editor, University of Leipzig
John Unsworth, Utility Infielder, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Melanie Kohnen, Managing Editor, Brown University
Michelle Dalmau, Design, Usability & Technical Support, Indiana University
Amit Kumar, Technical Support, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Erik Resly, Graphic Design, Brown University

We look forward to many more issues and to your comments, suggestions, and
contributions.

Julia Flanders, Editor in Chief, Brown University
Wendell Piez, General Editor, Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
Melissa Terras, General Editor and Associate Interactive Media Editor, University College
London