Jonathan,

It's worth noting that OCLC *is* the "we" you are talking about.

OCLC member libraries contribute resources to do exactly what you
suggest, and to do it in a way that is sustainable for the long term.
Worldcat is created and maintained by libraries and by librarians.
I'm the last to suggest that OCLC is the best possible instantiation
of libraries-working-together, but we do try.

Eric

--

Eric Hellman, Director                            OCLC Openly
Informatics Division