On 5/9/07, Eric Hellman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> As long as LibX is free and not being used as a way to drive Amazon
> revenue, I don't see how it could be considered to be commercial.

Probably a way to drive Amazon revenue down, considering that we offer
the alternative to borrow the book rather than buy it.

> We've studied our logs pretty carefully. Most of the sites that have
> exceeded the limit we set were commercial sites doing bulk harvest.
>
> You can track the xISBN use by LibX by getting an affiliate id.

LibX is a client-side tool. We're not a user of xISBN, we provide
clients who have installed it the option to use xISBN.

Also, keep in mind that an important reason to use OCLC's xISBN
service - rather than using an alternate service or using the data
directly - is Jeff Young's OAI bookmark service, specifically the
know-how he's put into searching multiple catalogs and his keeping a
database of which library uses which catalog. That, as I understand,
is still not part of the officially supported xISBN, though.

 - Godmar