I just taught myself with the 2nd ed. of the Agile Development with
Rails book, and still found it both entirely satisfactory and
sufficient. I'd get the "Programming Ruby" (Pickaxe) book too, since you
want to know Ruby to work with Rails, of course.

Personally, I can't handle only having an electronic copy, I need a
print copy open on my desk next to my monitor for tutorial or reference.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer