One of the things that's really lacking in the library community is
something like a sourceforge.net to serve as a central repository for
all opensource library projects and this certainly sounds like a step
in the right direction (maybe there already is such a thing and I
don't know about it).  I'm sure many people out there have at least
snippets of code or various libraries that they might not know where
to publish or are already publishing but other people don't know
where to find them.

It would also be useful to be able to create a well publicized 'wish
list' of library applications. This would allow those in the
community (with or without programming knowledge) to broadcast their
needs and/or ideas for software solutions.  I'm sure there are many
very simple programs that people need that could be spun out in a
weekend, but the people with the need and the people with the talent
just aren't being connected to each other.

An additional source forge-like feature which would be useful is the
ability to keep track of everyone's talents.  As a Java/Python guy I
always wondered whether anyone out there was actually doing anything
other than Perl and PHP (which seem to be pretty dominant in the
library world).  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to get a list of who
out there in library land had some free time AND knew PL/SQL, or to
simply find someone that was willing to learn RoR with you while
developing an application, how about connecting MARC experts who
can't program with application developers who don't understand MARC?

Sorry if all of this seems over ambitious, but I do think this would
be a good direction to head in.  I strongly believe that there is a
lot of untapped talent out there in our community and with the proper
networks a lot of really amazing things could emerge.

--Will