I like the idea a lot, but the main obstacle lies in migrating a
"critical mass" (which I can't define) of the significant code
libraries over to code4lib -- enough so that the repository becomes
recognized as valuable resource. Following on that, would the site be
a mirror site (and what sort of permissions from code owners does this
entail) or are we expecting the various project leaders to be
responsible for maintaining up-to-date versions on this site and
perhaps their own.

I also wonder about the relationship of the code4lib repository with oss4lib.
http://www.oss4lib.org/projects

Obviously, oss4lib is a different sort of site -- making links to
software projects rather than hosting the code itself. However,
harking back to my first point, my experience with oss4lib is that it
misses important projects and that diminishes its usefulness for me.
For example, to use Gabriel's example, pymarc is not included.

I'd be interested in hearing from Dan about his reaction to this idea
and especially about the relationship of oss4lib and code4lib.

Tom