I also have the LC data. Right now it's in an Access database that
includes the start and end of each call number range, and its level in
the hierarchy. Which, of course, can become a number of other data
formats as desired. :) I've exported it as delimited text to parse into
XML via Perl in the past (unfortunately that XML format is proprietary
and not useful to others).

I don't have it posted for download anywhere, but could do if folks are
interested.

-emily

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:18:40 -0400
> From:    Ed Summers <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: LC class scheme in XML or spreadsheet?
>
> It's funny this subject just came up on one of the open-library
> discussion lists this week [1]. A whiles ago now Rob Sanderson, Brian
> Rhea (University of Liverpool) and I pulled down the LC Classification
> Outline pdf files, converted them to text, wrote a python munger to
> convert the text into what ended up being a SKOS RDF file. We made the
> code available [2] and you can see the resulting SKOS (which needs
> some URI work) [3].
>
> It's kind of a work in progress (still). I wanted to get to the point
> that the rdf file was leveraged in a little python library (possibly
> as a pickled data structure) for easily validating LC numbers and
> looking them up in the outline.
>
> I'd be interested in any feedback.
>
> //Ed
>
> [1] http://mail.archive.org/pipermail/ol-lib/2007-September/000069.html
> [2] http://inkdroid.org/svn/lcco-skos/trunk/rdfizer/
> [3] http://inkdroid.org/tmp/lcco.rdf

> End of CODE4LIB Digest - 21 Sep 2007 to 24 Sep 2007 (#2007-184)

Emily Lynema
Systems Librarian for Digital Projects
Information Technology, NCSU Libraries
919-513-8031