Hi George-

I regularly interact with an SQL Server that lives on another host from a
RedHat EL5 box using PHP. (the same libraries are used for SyBase and
SQLServer).

I am currently using PHP PDO for database interactions.  You'll need these
two things:

1. the FreeTDS libraries see: http://www.freetds.org/

2. the PHP PDO library for SyBase/SQLServer:
http://pecl.php.net/package/PDO_DBLIB

With those installed and enabled, you should be good to go.

If you do not use PDO (I do recommend it, unless you are already using
some other databse abstraction layer), you should be able to find the
proper non-pdo php module by googling php and sybase.  In general, I stay
away form ODBC, but YMMV.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  I have set up a number of
machines for PHP <--> SQLServer interaction (both Linux and Solaris) and
it is kind of a pain, but once set up, works like a charm.

--peter keane