You might consider looking into the Dataverse network (http://thedata.org/)
which is a newly created network of nodes that maintain citable copies of
research data. An article outlining the dataverse philosophy can be found
here: http://gking.harvard.edu/files/dvn.pdf

At 03:20 PM 1/4/2008 -0500, Willett, Perry wrote:
>I know that libraries will be collaborating with labs and research
>centers on this NSF program for "Sustainable Digital Data Preservation
>and Access Network Partners":
>
><http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=503141&org=NSF&sel_org=
>NSF>
>
>Perry Willett
>Head, Digital Library Production Service
>300 Hatcher North
>University of Michigan
>Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205
>Ph: 734-764-8074
>Fax: 734-647-6897
>Email: [log in to unmask]
>

>Nathan Vack wrote:
> > OK, Code4Libbers, here's a question for y'all:
> >
> > I've taken a new job at a brain imaging lab on campus. The details
> > are still to be defined (they haven't had anyone in this position
> > before), but the problems they're trying to solve are things like
> > "Our researchers need to do a bunch of junk in Unix to process their
> > data; that's hard for them" and "Researchers are generating all kinds
> > of versions of data and it's filling the disk and five years later no
> > one knows which copies were used in this publication."
> >
> > In short, I'll be helping researchers collect, catalog, analyze, and
> > archive study data. It's not a 'library' position, but the more I
> > think about it, the more it seems like a place the libraries could
> > excel. Most labs can't afford someone to do this kind of work... but
> > from the grad students I've talked to, the need is HUGE.
> >
> > So, my question: Are research libraries out there doing this kind of
> > work? If not, do you have plans to start? Is Code4Lib still a good
> > place for me to hang out?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -Nate
> > UW - Madison

Randy Stern
Manager of Systems Development
Harvard University Library Office for Information Systems
90 Mt. Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Tel. +1 (617) 495-3724
Email <[log in to unmask]>