Hi all.

Has anyone used the balancer in Jakarta-Tomcat?
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/balancer-howto.html

I'm probably trying to get it to do something that it wasn't designed to
do, but has anyone got it to do a redirect to a new URL but with the
full URL - including the data at the end of the URL?

For example I'm trying to get it to do a simple redirect from the OLD URL:

   http://myurl.edu.au/balancer/somethinghere

to NEW URL:

   http://mynewurl.edu.au/balancer/somethinghere

I can't get this to work.

I've tried using the general redirect in the rules.xml file as follows:

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <rules>
   <rule
   className="org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.AcceptEverythingRule"
     redirectUrl="http://newurl.edu.au/balancer/" />
   </rules>

But that just redirects everything to the static URL:

    http://newurl.edu.au/balancer/

And if I try to be clever, using the string match rule:

   <rule className="org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.URLStringMatchRule"
     targetString="*/"
     redirectUrl="http://mynewurl.edu.au/balancer/somethinghere/" />

this fails as well. I've tried putting asteriscs, variables (such as
$(URI)) and any other wildcards I can think of, but nothing works.

Has anyone been able to get the balancer application to just change the
URL Stem and filter that through to a new base URL with the rest of the
URL in tact?

If there's something better in Tomcat or another java-based container
out there that people are using (not Apache) I'd like to know what it is.

Many thanks,

Simon
--
Simon Huggard