I don't know what alternatives that you have, but I am in the beginning
stages of developing a simplified ILS that would allow for basic
cataloging (not MARC compliant) with the idea that with instruction
bibliographic records could be created by non-librarians. In the case of
my test client, a LGBT lending library, cataloging is done by
volunteers. For your purposes, it might be by trained prisoners working
in the library. Either way there is a need for an ILS that doesn't
assume the people working the system have had an introductory cataloging
class.

I am also planning an online search interface, and a circulation module.

Right now the project is in planning, and is essentially vaporware, but
I expect to have a prototype in around 12 weeks, and start running it by
my test client. I think prison libraries are one environment that might
really be able to leverege this software, which will be Java based, and
could be run on older hardware that one might have on hand.

If you're interested, I'd like to hear more about your requirements so I
can have some additional ideas when I design my system.

- David

---
David Cloutman <[log in to unmask]>
Electronic Services Librarian