a blog post by your director.

"Book search will not work like web search"

http://blogs.lib.berkeley.edu/shimenawa.php/2008/01/02/trade_for_our_own_acc
ount

" As the New Yorker's Google's Moon Shot article relates, the most likely
settlement agreement would involve a voluntary collective license in
which revenue from viewing or sharing texts is shared among publishers,
authors, and Google. "Well, I love deals like that," one friend opined
sarcastically. "Everyone gets something for nothing, except maybe the
libraries. People get money for things they don't deserve." I didn't
understand, and he explained, "For orphan works, where there are
undetermined rights holders, there would undoubtedly be revenue sharing
between Google and the publishers, and the authors, if they are all
treated collectively. So these parties will still be making money that
does not really belong to them, except by virtue of any agreement that
they might come to terms on." In other words, who ever owns the rights
-- because no one knows for sure in the case of orphans, whether it be
publisher or author or public -- the money will almost inevitably flow
to commercial parties that have no claim to it; in the case where the
work is rightfully public domain, but has not been exposed as such, then
publishers and authors would make money at the public's expense."