Of course, all these things _can_ be done with only client-side
javascript API. To my perspective, it is quite a bit more complex to do
it that way. And complexity is the enemy of maintainability, especially
in my limited staff resources library environment.

But perhaps my perspective is not sufficiently "2.0" (or "3.0"); I've
been a software developer for a long time, but doing client side
javascript stuff for less. Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. To me, it looks
quite a bit more complex to try and provide these services with the same
level of control and customization in a "don't repeat yourself" modular
way accross all my various display systems that need this functionality,
using client side javascript services.  Other developers, do you think
I'm wrong?

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind