>My big worry is expired sessions. Any ideas how to solve that without
using a new-session URL?

>Tim

You also pass along a session id and if the user times out, she could
log back in and continue the previous session.

As for,

>One of the few useful things that came from that whole HTML Frames
>confusion was the ability to specify a 'target' to links.  if you use a
>target name that's not an existing frame, it'll pop up in a new window.
>(without requiring javascript to handle the popup).  if you use a
>consistent name, it'll recycle the existing window:

>See the HTML specs for more details:
>        http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/frames.html#h-16.3
>

>There are also some common keywords to use (_top, _blank, _new), which
are
>widely supported, but I can't find them in the HTML docs.

I would not recommend this because it is not standards compliant. W3C
standards reserve only four names for the target attribute "_blank",
"_parent", "_self", and "_top".  Some developers also use "_new" instead
of "_blank" as the value for the target attribute to open a link in a
new window, although W3C standards do not define that as a target name,
thus browsers may ignore it or treat it as a synonym for "_blank".
Browser settings can override all of this.

Michael Sutherland