an overview of the growing forest of semantic web
applications and approaches at rww -

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/semantic_web_patterns.php

"With any new technology it is important to define and classify
things. The Semantic Web is offering an exciting promise: improved
information discoverability, automation of complex searches, and
innovative web browsing. Yet the Semantic Web means different
things to different people. Indeed, its definition in the
enterprise and consumer spaces is different, and there are
different means to a common end - top-down vs. bottom up and
microformats vs. RDF. In addition to these patterns, we are
observing the rise of semantic APIs and contextual browsing tools.
All of these are in their early days, but hold a big promise to
fundamentally change the way we interact with information on the
web."