> I guess I don't understand why you'd prefer SRU to an API.  The ideal

Except SRU _is_ an API?

> However, if there was no API available, only a SRU service, wouldn't
> you complain about something else that SRU didn't do?

Like what?  The current API seems to be concerned with search.  Search
is what SRU does well.  If it was concerned with harvest, I (and I'm
sure many others) would have instead suggested OAI-PMH.

If the purpose is to have full control over things (in terms of
submitting/modifying data, changing options, etc etc) then no, SRU
wouldn't be appropriate.  However, that's not what the current API
seems to be designed to do, nor intended to become.

Rob